James A. Garfield
20th United States President
Listen to what his biographers included in his life story:
1. We call ourselves Christians or Disciples
2. We believe in God the Father
3. We believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and our only Savior. We regard the divinity of Christ as the fundamental truth in the Christian System
4. We believe in the Holy Spirit, both as to it agency in conversion and as an indweller in the heart of the Christian
5. We accept both the Old and New Testament Scriptures as the inspired Word of God
6. We believe in the future punishment of the wicked and the future reward of the righteous
7. We believe that Deity is a prayer-hearing and prayer-answering God
8. We observe the institution of the Lord’s Supper on every Lord’s Day. To this table it is our practice neither to invite nor debar. We say it is the Lord’s Supper for all the Lord’s children.
9. We plead for the union of all God’s people on the Bible, and the Bible alone.
10. The Bible is our only creed.
11. We maintain that all the ordinances of the Gospel should be observed as they were in the days of the Apostles.
Sounds very . . . biblical!
- Posted in: Uncategorized