We at the South Side Church of Christ believe that the Bible is our only source of authority. We do not hold to any man-made creed or doctrine. We desire to do all things in Bible ways and to call things with Bible names. This includes what we teach about salvation. Jesus came to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10). The South Side Church of Christ is committed to the same purpose. In a culture that offers many different “paths” to salvation, at South Side we believe that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life (John 14:6). We offer the invitation to be saved based on the pattern taught by Jesus and His Apostles who went into the whole known world teaching what had been taught to them by Christ (Matthew 28:19-20).
In order for a person to be saved, according to Scriptures they must:
- Hear God’s Word
- Matthew 7:24; I Corinthians 15:1-4
- Believe God’s Word (have faith in it)
- Romans 10:17; Hebrews 11:1
- Repent (turning away from personal sin unto God)
- Luke 13:3; Acts 17:30
- Confess Jesus Christ as the Christ, the Son of the living God
- Matthew 10:32, 16:16; Romans 10:8-13
- Be immersed into Christ for the forgiveness of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit
- Acts 2:38, 22:16; Romans 6:3-6; Galatians 3:27; I Peter 3:21
- Live the Christian life showing love and gratitude to God for His salvation, looking forward to His Son’s return
- James 1:22-24, 2:20
Here are some studies on what the Bible says about salvation:
- Study on Baptism from Acts 8 by Kevin L. Ziegler, Evangelist (opens in new window)
- Restorers, Not Conformers: The Plan of Salvation (Audio) by Kevin L. Ziegler, Evangelist (opens in new window)
- This link is part of the Restorers, Not Conformers Sermon Series preached in January 2006. Both PowerPoint outline and audio are available above.
- Do I Gotta Follow God’s Plan of Salvation? (Audio) by Kevin L. Ziegler, Evangelist (opens in new window)
- This link is part of the Do I Gotta Sermon Series preached during the Summer/Fall 2006. Both PowerPoint outline and audio are available above.
- Conversions in Acts by Kevin L. Ziegler, Evangelist (opens in new window)
- Terms of Pardon by the late Clarence Greenleaf, Evangelist (opens in new window)
- The book of Acts gives an account of people being saved as they heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Use the following chart to study those conversions accounts.
- What Must I Do To Be Saved? published in the South Side “Side Lites” by Paul Bennett, Evangelist, April 10, 1964 (opens in new window)
- What the Bible Says They Did to be Saved published in the September 1973 Restoration Herald (opens in new window)
- Forty-one Reasons you should be baptized by Dr. James E. Smith, Evangelist and Professor (opens in new window)
- Common Objections Raised Against the Biblical Doctrine of Baptism by J. Scott Sheridan, Evangelist (opens in new window)
- Chart is scanned as a JPEG.